ZocdocAnswersDo I have a flu or could it be worst?

Question

Do I have a flu or could it be worst?

Okay so yesterday I thought I had the flu. Fever, throwing up, cold sweats, headache, the usual. But in the last hour I've had strange numbnesses, a really bad cough, and a increasingly bad pain in the right side of my chest, which gets a lot worst whenever I breath in. Is this a flu or could I have pneumonia or something. Also I'm a 17 year old male, if that helps. Thanks :)

Answer

I think certainly your symptoms initially could have been secondary to influenza. The symptoms of influenza are fever, cough, myalgias or muscle aches, and a generalized feeling of being unwell. Nausea and vomiting are also common symptoms. The bad pain that you had on the right side of your chest could have been from influenza, but also could be from pneumonia. Sometimes flu can result in pneumonia compounding the problem and making people quite sick. For this reason, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You should do this as soon as possible. If you cannot get in to see your primary care doctor right away, it might be a good idea to go to an urgent care or to an emergency department. What you need is a chest x-ray to look for signs of pneumonia. You also need an influenza tests to rule in or rule out the flu as you might benefit from the medication Tamiflu if your symptoms have only been going on for a couple of days. If you do have pneumonia, you additionally will need to be placed on antibiotics. While rare in people your age group, in certain cases and pneumonia can be bad enough to warrant hospitalization. Please speak with your doctor and good luck.