Is it safe for me to take two 0.5 mg Ativan?

I have been taking Ativan for 2-4 years now, as needed (in effect, once a month to twice a week, depending on the frequency of my anxiety/panic attacks). I thought I wasn't taking it frequently enough to develop a tolerance, but lately, it hasn't been remotely as effective. Is it safe for me to take more? And should I?
You should never take more Ativan than you were prescribed without first consulting with the physician that prescribed it. The reason for this is that Ativan can be dangerous if taken in doses that are too high. With that said, 1 mg of Ativan is not usually too much, though it could be depending on your age and other factors. Thus, you will need to schedule an appointment with a physician that prescribed the Ativan to find out whether or not it is safe for you to take more than one pill. I should also say that the best treatment for panic attacks is not Ativan. Has your doctor prescribes you another medication such as an SSRI? An SSRI, which stands for selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor, is the most effective medication of preventing panic attacks. This is the class of medicine that we also use for depression, but is actually just as effective at preventing panic attacks. It usually must be taken for at least a month before you will be able to see the effect. It also cannot be taken during a panic attack as it will not be effective in that way. For this problem, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or psychiatrist, whoever prescribed the Ativan.

Other Psychiatrists