ZocdocAnswersWhat cold and allergy medicine can I take when I am allergic to antihistamine?

Question

What cold and allergy medicine can I take when I am allergic to antihistamine?

i have asthma and im allergic to antihistamine i have a cold coming in and i need good allergy medication please help

Answer

Thank you for your question. There are many different kinds of medications that can be used to help with a cold, and there are many different types of allergies so you should discuss this question with your doctor. Obviously, anti-histamines are one of the most effective medications that we have to treat allergies, and so it is quite ironic that you have an allergy to them. You can work with your doctor, or an allergist, to determine if your allergy is to all anti-histamines (less likely) or to a specific class of anti-histamines (more likely) or to an ingredient within the anti-histamine that you took on one occasion (perhaps most likely for many people). This will then suggest whether or not you could safely take a different medication that could be effective for you. In the short term, however, you will find that most of the medications that are designed to help with nasal drainage, cough, and other cold symptoms will often have an anti-histamine. Some examples of medications that do not always include antihistamines such as loratidine include pseudoephedrine, oxymetazoline, and guaifenesin, each of which can be effective for some people. They should be used only as directed, and you should discuss this question with your doctor.