ZocdocAnswersIs it safe for a 51 year old man who is unwell and has a pulse rate of 30 to travel by plane?

Question

Is it safe for a 51 year old man who is unwell and has a pulse rate of 30 to travel by plane?

He might be having liver cancer so he wants to travel to india from Sri lanka for treatment

Answer

Thank you for your interesting question, and I am sorry to hear about this individual's illness. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to provide an accurate recommendation on this individual's ability to travel without knowing more information. Specifically, a doctor would need to collect a full medical history and also perform a physical exam. Additionally, the doctor would need to review an EKG showing this person's rhythm. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to make specific recommendations. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. For most adults, a normal heart rate is 60 to 100 beats per minute. A pulse of 30 is often not adequate to maintain a normal blood pressure. If the blood pressure is dangerously low due to an abnormally slow heart rate, organs such as the brain, kidneys, and liver will not receive adequate levels of oxygen and nutrients, potentially causing severe dysfunction. Additionally, it would be important to determine the cause of the slow heart rate. Potential causes include a heart attack, heart muscle abnormality, or medication side effect. Depending on the cause, this individual may require a pacemaker. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to see a cardiologist.