ZocdocAnswersSmashed finger was numb and now feeling came back. Is something wrong?

Question

Smashed finger was numb and now feeling came back. Is something wrong?

I Smashed my finger a year ago and and had no feeling and now all of a sudden I have feeling back all of a sudden

Answer

Thanks for your question. Nerves are funny things. They can be very sensitive to trauma and other injury, and are very slow growing. Most physicians will say that they grow back at a rate of much less than a fraction of an inch each week, and so an injury may take a very long time before the nerve begins to grow back into the area. In some cases, recovery of sensation or other nerve function can take more than one or two years, and there is not much that can be done to expedite the recovery. As for whether or not there is something that is wrong that is causing your symptoms, that would be difficult to say. Depending on the mechanism of the injury (whether the nerve was crushed, severed, or just traumatized), the potential for full recovery may vary. Your doctor would be able to provide more insight and complete a physical exam that may allow for him or her to predict whether or not you will return to a full recovery, with normal function and sensation in the future. While this is possible, it is also possible that there may be some different sensations or deficits. Again, please speak with your doctor.