ZocdocAnswersMy grandma has a diabetic leg - is there any way her leg can be saved?

Question

My grandma has a diabetic leg - is there any way her leg can be saved?

-so my grandma has a diabetic leg and they recently had one toe imputation, so during that they put a vain inside for blood to flow, currently its not working a lot and my grandma has been having a lot of pain. They have said that they want to amputate her leg starting from the knee.

Answer

Treating the problems associated with the diabetic foot when it has become so severe that a partial amputation is already occurred is very difficult and sometimes not possible. Your mother should be followed by a vascular surgeon. Diabetes causes problems with the feet for two reasons. First, it causes damages to the nerves in the feet and hands which makes a person less aware of problems that are occurring in the feet. This allows for pressure ulcers to occur frequently as people do not feel pain the way they should win ulcer forms. Vascular disease that causes a lack of blood flow to the feet makes the situation worse by preventing blood and healing white blood cells to get to the areas that need them the most. This is when amputations occur. The best treatment early on is better control of the blood sugars. However, at this stage it might be too late for that. At this point your mother should be followed by a vascular surgeon who knows how to treat wounds associated with low blood flow and pressure ulcers. The better her wounds are cared for the more likely it is that she will be able to keep her leg. In the future, if you ever develop diabetes keep in mind how important it is to maintain good blood sugar control.