My tonsils are swollen, what should I do?

my tonsils are swollen well its only the left side what can i take ive tried everything. I have chills NO fever stuffy nose and body aches
I am sorry to hear that you have enlarged tonsils that are asymmetric, a stuffy nose, and body aches, and that you are worried about what might be going on. It will be hard for me to tell you exactly what is going on in your case without being able to take a thorough history and examine you, so my information will be general. I recommend that if you want a more specific answer, that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician, or otolaryngologist. The tonsils that most people refer to are actually called the pharyngeal tonsils (the ones in the back of your throat). Truth be told there are a number of other tonsils that you have, including lingual tonsils, and adenoids (tonsils in the back of your nose). Tonsillar tissue is lymphoid (or part of your immune system). This means that any infection or inflammatory process can cause hypertrophy (swelling) of the tonsils. So it is possible that if you had a recent illness, it could be why your tonsils are large. There are a number of other reasons for tonsillar hypertrophy, and when one tonsil is larger than the other for a persistent period, the ENT may recommend taking your tonsils out to make sure there isn't something more sinister going on (like a lymphoma). I wish you all the best at the ENT appointment and hope you get better soon.

• Dr. Kevin Browne
    Dr. Kevin Browne MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    4499 Medical Drive
    San Antonio, TX 78229
  • Dr. John Gilmore
    Dr. John Gilmore MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    10740 N. Central Expressway
    Dallas, TX 75231
  • Dr. David Walden
    Dr. David Walden MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    320 Superior Ave
    Newport Beach, CA 92663