ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about hip pain?

Question

What should I do about hip pain?

severe hip pain across from one side to the other . worse when I slept on my back. Can not turn over. Pain last whole day but get less when I move. Sometimes legs get numb from pain

Answer

You have hip pain on both sides that is worse with movement. Your legs also get numb. Though I do not know your age or your medical history, bilateral hip pain is not as common as unilateral. I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor. It could be that you are an older patient who has osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease. This does not usually occur acutely but usually over time. If you have acute bilateral hip pain, there could be other causes. A pelvic fracture should also be ruled out if you were involved in any injury. The colon and intra-abdominal process should also be ruled out. Another possibility is lower back pain, which could also explain the lower extremity numbness that you are experiencing. Low back pain could be from a herniated disc compressing on nerves. Either way, it sounds like you are not getting better and you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have your symptoms examined. They could start off with a physical examination and may want further tests such as x-rays if you were in any injury. If that does not reveal the cause, they may perform more tests. If you get any fevers, get lightheaded, or feel worsening pain, you should go to your local emergency room.