ZocdocAnswersThere's bleeding when I poop, what should I do?

Question

There's bleeding when I poop, what should I do?

I'm 18 5'10 around 270 pounds this happens once in a while and sometimes its very little blood and rarely its a lot of blood this has been happening for about 1-2 years happening a couple times a month and stopping for a couple months

Answer

This is a good question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to discuss your symptoms and have a full history and physical. It is important to clarify what exactly you mean by "bleeding when you poop." If you mean that when you wipe there is some blood on the tissue paper then this is likely due to either a small tear (fissure) of your anus or hemorrhoids. These are both aggravated by constipation and straining. If mild they can be treated with diet, sitz baths, and sometimes a prescription cream. However, if there is actual blood in the toilet bowl then this can be a sign of something more serious although it can still be caused by hemorrhoids. Rectal bleeding can be caused by ulcers in the digestive tract such as the stomach, or from inflammation in the colon such as with inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease). Bleeding when you have a bowel movement can also be caused by infections but this would not be likely to come and go. Again, it is very important that you make an appointment with your doctor so that you can get a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment.