ZocdocAnswersMy knee hurts 8 weeks after surgery - should I be walking on my leg?

Question

My knee hurts 8 weeks after surgery - should I be walking on my leg?

I've had surgery 8 weeks ago on my knees had arthritis remove into tears repaired it hurts more now than it did before I had surgery I explain my job title to my doctor and he seems to say that is okay but I'm just in too much pain

Answer

First, I will say that I cannot tell whether or not you should walk on your leg 8 weeks after your surgery. That question needs to be addressed by your orthopedic surgeon. It sounds like you had arthroscopic surgery on your knee for knee pain. If your preoperative imaging studies showed that you had osteoarthritis and additionally had some degenerative meniscal tears, then it is possible that this surgery to fix these tears will not help your pain. Oftentimes when people have knee pain and have osteoarthritis of the knee, fixing the small tears will not help the pain. This is because the pain is sometimes due to the osteoarthritis itself which is not helped by any arthroscopic surgery. If it is determined that your pain is due to the arthritis, then you will need to continue other therapies for this which might include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy, activity modification, and occasional injections to the knee with steroids or lubricating substance. If your pain continues despite this, and your imaging shows worsening osteoarthritis, then you might need a total knee replacement at some point. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your orthopedic surgeon to discuss these issues further.