ZocdocAnswersWhy does my throat get so dry?

Question

Why does my throat get so dry?

I have been have a dry throat for a while now and can't seem to get rid of it. I can sometimes get rid of it alittle bit by drinking water but it comes back! So I'm constantly sucking on mints, cough drops, sugar free candies to keep my throat moist. I'm just overly frustrated because its probably not good that this is happening. When I wake up in the morning it's soo dry and when I work out I find that my throat gets dry too...please help!! Am I breathing a certain way, vitamin deficiency????

Answer

Thanks for your question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about your concern. First, one of the most obvious answers to your problem is to stay hydrated. If the inside of your mouth is dry every time that you look at it, if you do not urinate frequently, if you have other signs of dehydration such as constipation, then it is important for you to drink more water. When you urinate, your urine should be only a faint yellow, and if it is more yellow than that you should consider drinking a bit more in many instances (obviously, there are some conditions that can make it difficult to urinate, and speak with your doctor if you have these problems). Next, the amount of salt that you take in can also make your throat feel quite dry. Too much salt prompts your body to try and take in more water to dilute it out. While those may be contributing, another very common cause of the sensation of a dry throat can be due to acid reflux. Many people will have acid that will come up while they sleep, and it will tend to make the mouth feel very dry. There are some over the counter medications that can help with this, but please speak with your doctor about your symptoms.