Could this be a small bowel obstruction?

I have a history of IBS but I know my bowel habits and this is not normal for me. Diarrhea for a week, multiple times a day. Abdomen tenderness with pain that comes and goes. Also feel a sense of fullness after only drinking water...
Based on the information you provided, I have to say that this does not sound like a small bowel obstruction. A small bowel obstruction does not result in diarrhea. In fact, it usually results in little, if any, stool output of any kind because the obstruction prevents material from moving on to the colon to be released as stool. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. The typical symptoms of a small bowel obstruction are nausea and vomiting and the inability to tolerate anything by mouth whether it be water or food. Small bowel obstructions are particularly common in people that have cancer that has metastasized to the abdomen and are also common in people that have had intra-abdominal surgery in the past. Your symptoms which include diarrhea, abdominal tenderness, and the sense of fullness are all symptoms that can be due to irritable bowel syndrome. While these symptoms are not typical for you, if you present it to a random physician with the symptoms and a previous history of irritable bowel syndrome, they would likely attribute it to this. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with the gastroenterologist for further workup of the symptoms. You might want to follow with one of these doctors anyway in order to be treated properly for your IBS.

Nearby Gastroenterologists

Other Gastroenterologists

• Dr. Victor Yang
    Dr. Victor Yang MD
    7737 Southwest Freeway
    Houston, TX 77074
  • Dr. Jeff Bullock
    Dr. Jeff Bullock MD
    150 E. Sonterra Blvd.
    San Antonio, TX 78258
  • Dr. Kevin Franklin
    Dr. Kevin Franklin MD
    215 E. Quincy St.
    San Antonio, TX 78215