How can I get my voice back?

I went to see my doctor, she said I did not have strep throat but she didn't take a couture. She just said I have a viral infection. But I can't talk, my voice sounds raspy and I feel the mucus in the back of my throat. What should I do? This scares me not being able to talk. This has never happened to me.
Thank you for your question. Viral upper respiratory tract infections are very common, and can certainly be quite scary if you have not had one before. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. They often affect many different body parts, and can contribute to or cause many different conditions, ranging all the way from routine pink eye to the condition that you are currently suffering from. While bacterial infections get all of the publicity due to strep throat, these are generally easier to treat because antibiotics can be effective. On the other hand, viral URIs generally require simply conservative care and support while a patient is recovering. So how can you help yourself recover as quickly as possible? Plenty of rest, plenty of hydration, and plenty of hygiene so that you don't make others ill! Your voice will generally recover fully within a short amount of time as the swelling goes down. The one exception is that, if you abuse your voice by straining, etc, during this time, you can potentially cause changes that could become permanent, such as vocal cord nodules. If you are having difficulty breathing, that is an emergency that should be seen immediately. Otherwise, a laryngologist may be able to help. Please speak with your doctor.

• Dr. Steven A. Burres
    Dr. Steven A. Burres MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    465 North Roxbury Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210
  • Dr. Daniel Leeman
    Dr. Daniel Leeman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3607 Manor Road
    Austin, TX 78723
  • Dr. Marc Kayem
    Dr. Marc Kayem MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    465 North Roxbury Drive
    Beverly Hills, CA 90210