What is the best way I can delay bacterial resistance while using topical Clindamycin on its own?

I am female, 43, successfully using Clindamycin phosphate 1% topical lotion (Dalagis T) for acne for the last 3 months. I wanted advice on the best way to delay bacterial resistance using Clindamycin without the use of Benzoyl Peroxide since I am highly sensitive/allergic to it. Additionally, my dermatologist believes adding a retinoid would be too irritating for my sensitive skin. Would it be best to use Clindamycin daily all over my face, as I have been, or is it better to use it intermittently? Or possibly only on the more problematic areas? Does it help to use it consistently for a certain period of time, and then take a break, and then reintroduce? Any other options or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Thanks for your question. I recommend that you discuss your concern with the prescribing doctor. Bacterial resistance is certainly one of the concerns with continued use of any antibiotic over a long period of time. Especially in the United States, there is a concern that doctors may be over-using some of the best antibiotics, which may lead to the development of strains of bacteria that are resistant to these antibiotics. For this reason, there is a push to use them only when needed. Fortunately, as you have discovered, these antibiotics can be very helpful with a number of conditions, including things such as acne. Just like with other uses of antibiotics, resistance is a possibility. The key thing is to determine which bacteria are likely to become resistant. For most people, the common bacteria that are associated with acne remain susceptible and the antibiotics can continue to help. While there may be a theoretical benefit to an intermittent pattern of usage, practically this is not something that most doctors worry about when dispensing this medication for most people. Speaking with the prescribing doctor is always the best thing to do to get answers to your question, and your pharmacist may also be able to help. Please speak with your doctor.