ZocdocAnswersI have abdominal pain. What is wrong with me?

Question

I have abdominal pain. What is wrong with me?

Its not sudden but gradually builds until it is so unbearable. Goes from a burning sensation to feeling like I've been punched in the gut. I think I may vomit. The pain also makes me feel dizzy and weak, but mostly very uncomfortable. It is all over abdominal pain. It last anywhere from 1-3 hours. In addition my lower back feels like someone kicked me in it.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your abdominal pain. It sounds like it is quite distressing, and it may represent a serious illness. In order to determine the cause, you will need to have a physician review the full details of your medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. You may also need to undergo blood testing and imaging studies. Therefore, I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. After the doctor collects this information, they will be able to make recommendations on the most appropriate course of action. There are many potential causes of abdominal pain. It is possible your pain is due to an ulcer of either your stomach or small intestine. You may need to undergo an upper endoscopy to diagnose this. Pancreatitis can cause severe abdominal pain. This occurs when pancreatic enzymes begin to digest the pancreas itself. Obstruction due to a gallstone or infection of the gallbladder itself can also cause severe abdominal pain. An obstruction of the small intestine can also cause pain. Issues related to your colon, liver, spleen, uterus, and ovaries can also cause severe abdominal pain. I encourage you to raise these possibilities with a gastroenterologist. Only after a thorough review will it be possible to determine the cause of your symptoms.