ZocdocAnswersHow do I know if I have appendicitis?

Question

How do I know if I have appendicitis?

I'm having severe pain above my hipbone in my right side. Its been getting worse over the past few days. It hurts to stand and walk now too. The pain goes through my stomach and into my back at times. But stays very consistant above my right hipbone. I have had nausea and diarriah as well and the pain hurts worse when I use the bathroom.

Answer

Thank you for your question regarding whether your symptoms may be due to appendicitis. I would encourage you to visit your doctor right away. Even if it is not appendicitis, this severe pain is something that should be further investigated. Appendicitis, or inflammation of the appendix, causes pain where the appendix lies--roughly 1/3 the distance from the bone that juts out from our hips on the right side to our belly buttons. Appendicitis causes extreme pain and is accompanied by symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, fever, and a high white blood cell count (a measure of infection). Usually, patients are unable to tolerate any food and keep it down when they have appendicitis. There are physical exam signs a doctor would check by pressing upon your belly and looking for characteristic tenderness. However, the most definitive way to diagnose appendicitis is to take a CT scan of your belly. If you are a female, there are other important diagnoses to consider for pain in the lower right side of the abdomen. These include ectopic pregnancy and ovarian torsion. Therefore, I would recommend that you see a doctor right away who can perform an exam and any further testing that is necessary.