ZocdocAnswersI have small blood vessels on my cervix. What can cause it and how do they go away?

Question

I have small blood vessels on my cervix. What can cause it and how do they go away?

Vagin ultrasound shows small blood vessels on cervix.what causes them and do they go away?

Answer

Having small blood vessels in your cervix is actually a very normal thing, but I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. There is really nothing you can do to get rid of them, as they are there normally. These blood vessels can be annoying, as they are one of the main causes of minor bleeding after intercourse. Any kind of minor trauma from intercourse vaginally or during a vaginal ultrasound such as what you had done cause breakage of these small blood vessels which can result in minor bleeding. These blood vessels tend to become more exposed and more friable during pregnancy. I think the more important question is what was found on the ultrasound and why these blood vessels were even mentioned. Did the blood vessels appear abnormal? Was there many more of them than normal? Do you have a history of significant vaginal bleeding especially after sex? All of these questions are important in interpreting your ultrasound results. For more information about these issues, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN. Perhaps you can go through the rest of your ultrasound report and discuss the other findings. In addition, you can discuss the blood vessels that were found in your cervix to make sure that they are normal in your specific clinical situation. Good luck.