ZocdocAnswersI have severe headache. What could be causing this?

Question

I have severe headache. What could be causing this?

severe headache

Answer

Thank you for your question. Only a doctor can diagnose you; you should see a doctor for your headache. A doctor can obtain a thorough history, examine you, and order and interpret any necessary tests to determine the cause of your headaches. There are many causes of headaches. Some of the most common causes are migraine headaches, cluster headaches, and tension headaches. Migraine headaches are often one sided and throbbing. They sometimes occur with nausea, and are associated with sensitivity to light and sound. Migraine headaches sometimes run in families. Cluster headaches are also often one sided. They can be severe and often seem to be focused behind the eye. Cluster headaches are sometimes associated with tearing and feelings of nasal fullness. Tension headaches often effect both sides of the head and can last for days on end. Sometimes, patients describe them as a feeling of band-like tightness around their head. They tend to be somewhat less severe than migraine or cluster headaches. There are many other causes of headaches, some of which are serious. These include bleeding in or around the brain, brain tumors, and inflammatory disorders which can have permanent effects. I strongly advise you to see your doctor for your headache.