ZocdocAnswersWhat medication is given for generalized anxiety disorder?

Question

What medication is given for generalized anxiety disorder?

If I see a doctor what medication would I be prescribed

Answer

I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a common condition that is characterized by an increased sense of worry about all things in life. People that suffer from GAD alone do not have depression and do not have panic attacks. However, depression and panic disorder do accompany GAD often. There are many medications for these conditions and there are some that are used for all 3 disorders. The most commonly used medications for GAD, depression, and panic disorder are the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These are commonly used medications such as Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, and Lexapro. These medications are the most likely prescription you would receive if your doctor thinks that you have generalized anxiety disorder. There are other options as well including medications such as Effexor and buproprion. Medications that provide immediate help such as Xanax or Ativan can be used as needed under certain circumstances if your doctor thinks this is necessary. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your symptoms to determine if generalized anxiety disorder is in fact what you have. If your symptoms are severe and if your doctor is not comfortable treating your condition, then perhaps you should get a referral to a psychiatrist.