ZocdocAnswersI have right abdominal pain. Is there something wrong with me?

Question

I have right abdominal pain. Is there something wrong with me?

I seen my dr last wk for upper abdominal pain he thought ruptured ovarian cyst has a ct scan showed enlarged spleen but everything else normal all blood n urine remarkably good what could be causing my spleen to be enlarged n right abdominal pain

Answer

Abdominal pain can be caused by any number of things. You should seek further evaluation by your physician and describe the quality, the duration, the onset, the timing, and any alleviating or aggravating factors regarding your pain. An enlarged spleen can also be from any number of causes. For example, an infection with the Epstein Barr Virus (colloquially known as Mono) can cause an increase in the size of your spleen. Increase in the blood pressure with your portal venous system (the major vein that delivers blood to your liver) can cause blood to back up into your spleen and enlarge it. Similarly, red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets can back up in your spleen as it normally acts as a filter for the various components of your blood. These can build up in your spleen with diseases such as hemolytic anemia and rheumatoid arthritis. An enlarged spleen can also be a sign of more concerning diagnoses such as cancer. These can include blood-based cancers such as leukemia or lymphoma or solid tumor metastases such as melanoma. These are only a handful of possible causes for an enlarged spleen and abdominal pain. I encourage you to seek consultation with your doctor for a thorough examination regarding your concerns.