ZocdocAnswersDid I have a miscarriage?

Question

Did I have a miscarriage?

I'm 8 Weeks Pregnant And Bleeding I Constantly Change My Pad Noticed Light Bleeding A Little Bit On Monday , Had Sex That Day Woke Up With A Spot Of Blood Went To The Hospital But Left I'm Bleeding A Lot But When I Drink Lots Of Water I Don't Bleed As Much ? Am I On My Period ??

Answer

If you are eight weeks pregnant verified by a pregnancy test, and you are experiencing vaginal bleeding currently, the chances that you had or are having a miscarriage are quite high. Miscarriages, also known as spontaneous abortions, are very common especially early on in the pregnancy. It is estimated that anywhere between one and four and one in three pregnancies terminate in this way. Some women experiencing miscarriage will only see blood. Other women will see blood and sometimes other material pass through the vagina. In any event, you need to be evaluated. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN today. The reason for this is that you need to have several studies. First, you need to have another pregnancy test this time using your blood to determine the level of beta hCG. This will help determine whether or not your pregnancy is thriving. You also need to have a pelvic ultrasound to look for intrauterine contents. If you had a miscarriage, your uterus might be empty. On the other hand it might have some products of conception that either are viable and your pregnancy will continue, or are not viable it will need to be removed by your OB/GYN. Good luck.