ZocdocAnswersDid I mess up my knee?

Question

Did I mess up my knee?

A month ago I landed on my knee while straitened and heard and felt a pop. It really hurt something didn't feel right under my knee cap near my tibia it felt loose. I know I didn't tear any ligaments

Answer

Thank you for your question. In order to determine what sort of injury you suffered, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, you may require imaging studies of the knee, such as an x-ray or MRI. Only after collecting this information will I be able to offer an opinion. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. There are many structures in the knee that can cause pain when injured. You may have suffered a small fracture of the patella (knee cap) or one of the leg bones in the joint. Even a small, hairline fracture can cause pain. There are many bursa, or fluid filled sacs, in the joint that provide cushioning, and injury to one of these can cause pain and irritation. You may have damaged one of the ligaments in the joint, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL. You may also have injured the meniscus, which is a disc of cartilage that provides cushioning for the joint. It is not possible to diagnose the cause of your pain without more information. I strongly encourage you see an orthopedic surgeon.