ZocdocAnswersWhat could be causing this terrible pain in my hips/gluteus maximus?

Question

What could be causing this terrible pain in my hips/gluteus maximus?

Hello, thank you for reading my question… I had to shorten this section so hopefully this provides enough info… Since a car accident and chiropractic treatment, it feels as though the rear of my hips/gluteus maximus is constantly inflamed, sore, irritable, and just overall terribly painful. No matter how much I stretch that area, ice it, or heat it, it never goes away. I want to scream whenever I ask my boyfriend to massage the area in hopes that it will ease the pain. Ibuprofen doesn't even take the edge off. I can't tolerate very much more… Does anyone have any idea what is causing this terrible pain?

Answer

Unfortunately, there are many different possible causes of pain in that area. The first step is to obtain an evaluation by a physician. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for this problem. The first step is for your physician to perform a detailed physical exam of the area to determine exactly where the pain is. Imaging studies of the low back may be indicated. For example, I might consider an MRI of the lumbar spine depending on where the pain is and your other past medical history. Degenerative disc disease or spinal stenosis potentially could be a cause of pain in this area. If this study was normal, then I might consider the possibility that this is inflammation of some of the muscles in the buttock itself. One common syndrome that people can experience is something called piriformis syndrome which is inflammation of the piriformis muscle which is in that area. Depending on the results of the testing, an EMG to look for nerve damage might be necessary. In the end, if nothing is found, then a steroid injection into the area might be helpful in determining the cause of the pain and provide you temporary relief. Physical therapy aimed at stretching ultimately might be the best treatment. Please speak with your physician, and good luck.