ZocdocAnswersI am 7 weeks pregnant and my IgG CMV was 680. Is this normal?

Question

I am 7 weeks pregnant and my IgG CMV was 680. Is this normal?

Is this low or high avidity ?? For OB/GYN doctor please

Answer

CMV stands for cytomegalovirus. The best thing to do is to speak with your OB/GYN in order to discuss what these results mean for you. CMV is a very common virus that infects nearly 50% of all people in the world. For people that have normal immune systems, the CMV virus tends to cause no problems at all. It might cause an infection, but you will not develop symptoms normally, and your body's immune system will keep the infection at bay. When you become infected with this virus, your immune system produces antibodies to this virus to help destroy it. IgG is a type of antibody. Thus, what this test shows is that you were simply exposed to this virus at one time in your life. It does not mean that you have an active infection. Since nearly half of all people are exposed to this virus at sometime in their life, all of these people will have antibodies to the virus. Thus, it is not surprising that you have IgG to CMV. I am not sure what you mean by low or high avidity. If you have a condition that requires that you be on a medication that inhibits your immune system, then infection was CMV might be more significant situation in the context of pregnancy. If this is the case than what you need is a CMV viral load. This is a test that actually looks for people that have an active infection which is a much more significant problem. Again, I would suggest you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN for further discussion about what this test means for you.