ZocdocAnswersCan I do a test to see if me and my sister are from the same dad?

Question

Can I do a test to see if me and my sister are from the same dad?

my grandmother and mother keep telling that my dad said i am not his and his mother saying the same. but my dad dies two years ago is there anyway i can see if me and my sister are full blood related

Answer

The short answer to your question is yes, you can determine if you and your sister are full blood related. The first thing that you will want to do is to make sure that this is a piece of knowledge that you really truly want to know. I say this because knowing that you and your sister are not full blood related is not necessarily a good thing if it brings anguish and anger in your family. With that said, you can get what is called a paternity test. You and your sister will both need to send in some type of sample to a company the performs these tests. Usually it's nothing more than a simple throat swab or perhaps a sample of blood. They will analyze your DNA and will see that at least half of your DNA will be from your mother and very closely related. The second half is what they will examine to determine if you share the same father. It is quite a simple process and you will be able to get an answer within 99% accuracy. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician first to discuss this further. Your primary care physician may have a company in your area that does this and give you some recommendations. In addition, I would suggest that you consider talking to a counselor before undergoing this test is to make sure that you are making the right decision. Good luck.