Make an appointment:
Specialty
(i.e. Dermatologists)
Location

I smelled moldy hotdog bread by accident. Could this pose any problem to me?

I was making hotdogs 3 days ago and grabed two hotdog buns and noticed it had a weird smell but i thought it was just my hands so i smell'd the bread and than my hand and realized it was an odd smell so i turn it over and see light blueish mould on the other side and quickly through that out and washed my hands, I then proceeded to wash the inside of my nose before bed but idk what good that even did. so will i be ok cause i watched a video of a man who lost his face from just smelling bread mould and it terrified me.. I'm 19 by the way.
Bread mold can contain any number of fungal species, and different types can pose different risks to someone who ingests them. If you start developing any concerning symptoms such as severe nausea, vomiting, difficulty breathing, wheezing, hives, or coughing up blood, call your doctor immediately. Because there are many types of different fungi that can grow on bread, it is difficult to tell which type was growing on your hot dog bun. Rest assured, most types are completely harmless, and you can eat them without incurring any negative effects. This is true for the vast majority of molds. However, some are toxic and can cause food poisoning and result in nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. The most dangerous situation is when someone is allergic to the particular type of mold, and danger signs of an allergic reaction include symptoms such as wheezing, hives, swelling, or difficulty breathing. Because you did not actually ingest the mold, it is highly unlikely that you will experience any of these effects. If you are very allergic to the particular type of mold, you should expect to experience symptoms quite soon after breathing in the spores. Also, our noses have protective hairs called nares that block many things we breath in from getting into our system, and that can often include fungal spores from bread mold. I would not worry too much about potentially breathing in the bread mold spores. However, if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above, I would recommend calling your doctor immediately, and if you cannot get in touch with him or her, going to the emergency room.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Nearby Doctors

  • Dr. Sitha Miller
    Dr. Sitha Miller MD
    Primary Care Doctor
    Avg Rec:
    9390 E Central Ave
    Wichita, KS 67206

Other Doctors