ZocdocAnswersWhat are the consequences of canceling corneal transplant surgery after being on a waiting list?

Question

What are the consequences of canceling corneal transplant surgery after being on a waiting list?

HI. My doctor put me on a waiting list for Corneal transplant but I decided to wait til next year. How can I cancel my surgery and what are the consequences?

Answer

Thanks for your question. This is something that you should discuss more fully with your doctor. Corneal transplantation is something that has become much more common and can be quite effective at improving vision and the quality of life of many people. As with any procedure, there are risks that are associated with this that should be discussed with your doctor. Most importantly in this case, your doctor should know what the reasons are behind you deciding to push back the surgery. In some cases, there may be reasons that proceeding sooner rather than later would be valuable. Your doctor will be able to discuss all of this with you. Ultimately, it remains your decision as to whether or not to proceed with this transplant, as the procedure is completely elective and is not something that you ever have to do unless you want to. If there are concerns, an open conversation with your doctor can be invaluable. If you feel that it is difficult to speak with your doctor, it may be wise to seek a second opinion about whether or not to have the surgery, and also when you should proceed with this at all. Please speak with your doctor.