Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How can I treat a fungal infection in upper thigh creases?"

ZocdocAnswersHow can I treat a fungal infection in upper thigh creases?


Embarrassing to ask but, I have this flaky, burning skin in the thigh creases of my legs and on my vaginal lips a bit. Skin is flaking and peeling off and it's red skin. I don't even know if it's just irritation from when I was wearing pads this week from my period of an infection that just popped up. I noticed it this morning. I'm hoping for a good answer and an easy way to cure this! a&d ointment on fungal infection in upper thigh creases?


It sounds like this is causing a significant amount of angst and anxiety. You definitely want to take care of this as soon as possible, and if a fungal infection is responsible, then hopefully an anti-fungal cream will help relieve the symptoms and clear things up quickly. So it is important to speak with your doctor. However, there are some other skin condition that can affect the vaginal area that it would be important to exclude. In addition, to obtain a prescription for the best anti-fungal medication options, you will need to see a physician. Your own primary care physician, GYN, or urgent care physician should be able to see you quickly and help make sure that you get the proper treatment. You may indeed have a fungal infection, but before using an anti-microbial agent like this, it is important to make sure that nothing else is missed. In addition, you can also talk with your doctor about the best approach to medication management for you, as anti-fungal medications come in creams, powders, and oral pills. Determining which option (or combination) will help best treat your symptoms is most effectively accomplished after discussing things with your doctor (and after a brief physical exam). The good news is that getting started on the right treatment will hopefully clear things up very quickly!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.