ZocdocAnswersMy breast is sore and larger breast - that had never happened before. What could be wrong?

Question

My breast is sore and larger breast - that had never happened before. What could be wrong?

I have had unprotected sex recently, but this week, my breast have been very sore and I've noticed they are larger then normal. This isn't normal at all for me, i don't know what i should do?

Answer

I recommend that you speak with your doctor about this question. Sore and enlarged breasts are often one of the first signs of pregnancy. If you have had unprotected sex and are at the time point when you should have expected your normal menstrual cycle, it would be wise to test for pregnancy. Your doctor will have an even more sensitive type of blood test that he or she can use. Regardless, this is a good reminder that women of child bearing age should use protection and also be taking folic acid supplements as this has been shown to decrease birth defects. Now, there are other reasons that breasts can be enlarged and swollen as well. It is common for many women to feel changes that are cyclical in their breasts and wax and wane with their menstrual cycle. Also, infections can cause some swelling and warmth in the breasts, although there are often other changes to the skin and redness that can happen. People will usually have other symptoms of infection as well. Tumors and other causes are also possible explanations, but may be less likely in some groups. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and determine what steps, tests, and possibly imaging need to be taken next.