I have a lump on my anus. What could it be?

I am 26 years old male. 3 days ago I felt little pain while passing hard stool. There was some bleeding as well. The next day I realized that there was a lump in my anus around the size of pea. I am really scared and too embarrassed to talk about this with family or doctor.
Thank you for your question regarding the lesion in your anus. You should never feel embarrassed to speak with your doctor about symptoms such as this and I encourage you to schedule an appointment with your doctors">primary care physician. It is difficult to assess the cause of your symptoms without a physical examination; however, based on your description, it is possible that you may have an external hemorrhoid. Hemorrhoids are normal veins that exist in the rectum but can be a problem when they become swollen, itchy, and painful. They can also cause rectal bleeding that can range from bleeding just on the toilet paper when wiping or bleeding that coats the stool. Doctors usually differentiate between internal and external hemorrhoids. Internal hemorrhoids you can't see and typically don't cause pain, while external hemorrhoids can be visible and usually cause pain. The best thing to do to prevent hemorrhoids is to make sure you are not constipated, by eating lots of fiber in fruits and vegetables, and taking fiber supplements or stool softeners if needed. You should discuss with your doctor the best options for you. This can range from using over the counter creams/ointments to relieve the pain, swelling or if symptoms are quite severe or bleeding excessive, a doctor may advise removing the hemorrhoids by tying them off or using lasers or heat. Talk with your doctor about the best options for you.

Other Gastroenterologists