ZocdocAnswersCould I have damaged by hernia surgery?

Question

Could I have damaged by hernia surgery?

Hi I had to have a hernia op 4 weeks ago. I know it's repaired by a mesh. Recoverys been good but I have a question. I have had a cold and kept popping my ears yesterday but not straining too hard. If I had done damage with the way the mesh is done would I have known about it when I did it. In others words could I have damage and a bit came out of mesh then the rest come out soon. Or if the mesh broke would it show there and then. Thanks

Answer

Thank you very much for your question. I recommend that you make an appointment or call your surgeon. A hernia repair relies on synthetic mesh to to help promote scar tissue formation to "seal in" the area of weakness from your hernia. During initial post operative recovery, most surgeons recommend minimizing activity for 2-4 weeks. This includes minimizing heavy lifting and straining that could be undue stress on your hernia repair. The strain from popping your ears is relatively minor but there might be a small risk that heavy, repeated straining can affect your repair. The presentation of recurrence of the hernia can vary greatly from person to person depending on the area of the repair that was affected. Therefore, the best way to know whether or not you are experiencing a problem is to consult with your surgeon. Furthermore, it is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a physician or other qualified health professional. As this question relates specifically to the surgery you recently underwent, I would suggest that you make an appointment or call your surgeon to discuss the specifics of the symptoms you are experiencing. He or she can perform an examination if necessary to determine if there was any lasting impact to your hernia repair from the strain you had from popping your ears.