ZocdocAnswersI have 154/95 BP and 109 heart rate. Is there something wrong with me?

Question

I have 154/95 BP and 109 heart rate. Is there something wrong with me?

After vacuuming the house for 30 min. I felt week. I checked my bp and it was 154 / 95 with 109 heart rate. I have hypertension and had a TMT and echo cartogram 4 weeks ago and it was fine. I woild like to know what may / could be causing this high bp and hr. Maybe my Dr. is unintentionally miss diagnosing something.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. I encourage you to consult a cardiologist, as I cannot provide an accurate diagnosis without knowing the full details of your medical history. During exercise, your heart typically beats faster, and blood pressure increases in order to provide your body with additional oxygen. Your blood pressure response may be normal depending on his vigorous your activity was. However, in patient's with poor physical conditioning, blood pressure may rise inappropriately and may not recover quickly. Your symptoms of weakness are also concerning. I recommend you discuss this with your cardiologist. After a thorough history, physical exam, and EKG, you may require a stress test to determine if your weakness with mild exercise is due to coronary artery disease, or a blockage in your heart's arteries. Similarly, your heart may have been beating quicker in order to provide more oxygen to your body. However, you could have been suffering an arrhythmia, or abnormal heart rhythm, such as atrial fibrillation. This can cause weakness because your heart is unable to fill completely between beats. Occasionally, patients require a 24-hour EKG to capture this arrhythmia on a monitor. I strongly encourage you to discuss these possibilities with your cardiologist to determine the next best step in your evaluation.