ZocdocAnswersI am in an early pregnancy and I have a weird underarm/boob pain. Is there something wrong with me?

Question

I am in an early pregnancy and I have a weird underarm/boob pain. Is there something wrong with me?

My whole chest feels bruised the area above my breast , the sides of my breast , my underarms are sore & my sternum is sore to the touch . . My nipples hurt bad expecially when im bra less . . Is this normal ?

Answer

Thanks for your question. I recommend that you discuss it with your doctor. There are many changes that can occur during pregnancy. Many of these will affect your breasts, as they begin to prepare for milk production and to support a new baby. As you may know, your breasts can involve a large area of your chest and extend even into your axilla (under your arm). It is not uncommon for women to fill tenderness in all of these areas during pregnancy. It is also important to realize that some of these changes can represent something more serious, and should not be discounted because you are pregnant. Most changes of pregnancy will wax and wane, and should not become increasing worse, lead to redness, fever, chills, or severe focal pain. If you have any of these symptoms, it could be a sign of something that needs to be treated, such as an infection. As always, it is important to check your breasts regularly to be familiar with any spots that are abnormal and could represent something more serious. Please speak with your doctor about your question, and seek immediate attention if you are having any symptoms of infection or other concerning findings.