ZocdocAnswersI woke up this morning with a small headache but extremely painful and a hardly bearable stiff neck.What is wrong with me?

Question

I woke up this morning with a small headache but extremely painful and a hardly bearable stiff neck.What is wrong with me?

Help!? Its been about a month of cefuroxime even though i tested negative after test results my doc told me to keep taking it. ive had lyme disease about 2 months ago plus a variety of things ive taken antibiotics for also probiotics and im so tired of it. Ive been getting my period twice a month for about 5 months, very dry sandpaper skin from hand to elbow this is a new symptom, incredibly fatigued, ive gained weight and im always tired ive been having a lot of muscle spasms but not this painful i haven't been getting any help from doctors.

Answer

That is quite a list of symptoms, and I am so sorry to hear that you have been suffering through so much. If you have a headache and a stiff neck, it is important to discuss this with your doctor if there is any concern for you having an infection in your brain or nervous system. Meningitis is uncommon, but there are some people who may be at an increased risk (due to previous surgeries or infections). Speaking with your doctor will help you to know if there is something more that you should do now. With regards to your other concerns, and the long time that you have been treated for these other symptoms, it may be appropriate for you to seek help from a specialist. Infectious disease doctors are often helpful with infections, and rheumatologists are especially adept at treating symptoms that are seemingly unrelated but affect multiple organ systems. If your doctor feels that it is appropriate, a discussion with either of these two specialists might be a good way to help you get some answers. It can be frustrating for patients and doctors when diagnosis are difficult. Please speak with your doctor about your question.