ZocdocAnswersWhy am I bleeding?

Question

Why am I bleeding?

sometimes my stomach hurts, i have had sometimes, i eat less than i use to because i get full to which now, the bleeding went on for 2 weeks then stopped for about a week and then it came back but light pink and it turned red but it's not like an regular period i even had black blood clots coming out please tell me what could be wrong

Answer

From your description above, it sounds like you have either bleeding from your vagina or your rectum. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. The bleeding is associated with abdominal pain. If it is vaginal bleeding, it is important to differentiate it from your menstrual cycle. It is also important to check whether you may be pregnant or not. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to determine where the source of bleeding is. If you are pregnant, vaginal bleeding could be a sign of a threatened abortion or an inevitable abortion. Your doctor can obtain a urine sample and also perform an ultrasound to help investigate the vaginal bleeding. If the bleeding is from the rectum, the possible causes are hemorrhoids, malignancy, and gastrointestinal bleeding. Hemorrhoids can be painful or painless but they do cause bleeding of bright red blood. It is associated with constipation. Other causes of bleeding from the rectum could be an upper gastrointestinal bleed from a ulcer in the stomach or small intestine. It could also be from diverticular disease in the colon. There are many causes of bleeding from the rectum. Your doctor can obtain a stool sample to verify that it is blood. You may also need a colonoscopy or further imaging studies to figure out the cause of the bleed. If you have a repeat episode of large rectal or vaginal bleeding, you should go to your local emergency room.