Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is my graves' disease diagnosis correct?"

ZocdocAnswersIs my graves' disease diagnosis correct?


Hi, I was just diagnosed with Graves' disease last week. My blood work shows hyperthyroidism and my Dr. did ultrasound and some physical checks but he didn't check my thyroid antibodies. Do you think he did enough tests to say I have Graves' disease? I don't have anyone who has Graves' disease on my family so it's hard for me to believe that I have this. Thank you.


Graves' disease is a condition that causes hyperthyroidism also known as a hyperactive thyroid gland. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist. As you stated in your question, Graves' disease specifically is a condition where thyroid targeted antibodies cause the thyroid gland to believe that it needs to release more thyroid hormone. This causes excess thyroid hormone secretion into the blood and subsequently the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Lab work for Graves' disease outside of the thyroid antibodies themselves, should show a very low thyroid stimulating hormone or TSH, and a very high or higher than normal T4 and T3. If the ultrasound of your thyroid gland showed diffuse enlargement, there are few if any other conditions other than Graves' disease that can cause this problem. Certainly the presence of thyroid targeted antibodies also known as thyroid stimulating antibodies would secure the diagnosis, but it is unlikely that it is anything else other than Graves' disease. Again, for further workup and treatment of this situation, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist who can complete your workup and provide you treatment that is best for your current situation. The endocrinologist can review the treatment options for Graves' disease (assuming that the consultation confirms the diagnosis) including medications, surgery, and radioactive iodine ablation.

Need more info?

See an urologist today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.