ZocdocAnswersI have bad stomach cramps. Should I go to the hospital?

Question

I have bad stomach cramps. Should I go to the hospital?

Cramps have been going on for 2 weeks, very painful.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and it sounds like they have caused significant distress over the last two weeks. In order to determine the specific cause, a physician would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, it may be necessary to perform additional testing. As such, I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. After the doctor evaluates you, they can make recommendations on the next most appropriate steps. There are many organs in the abdomen that can lead to abdominal pain. It is possible you are suffering from an infection, either bacterial or viral, that is affecting your intestines and causing pain. Impaired blood flow to your intestines, such as in mesenteric ischemia, can cause pain. Autoimmune disorders, such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, can cause inflammation of the intestines as well as pain. Peptic ulcer disease can cause pain. Irritable bowel syndrome can cause abdominal cramps, which can also occur in celiac disease. Other disorders affecting your appendix, liver, pancreas, kidneys, bladder, uterus, or ovaries can all cause abdominal pain. Given the myriad potential causes, I strongly recommend you see a primary care doctor.