ZocdocAnswersCan lungs cancer be transmitted from husband to wife?

Question

Can lungs cancer be transmitted from husband to wife?

husband was died because lungs cancer is there any chance his wife affected by lungs cancer ?

Answer

Unlike infections with bacteria and viruses, cancer is not transferable from one person to another. This includes all cancers not just lung cancer. The only exception to this would be melanoma which can be passed down from a mother to a fetus. I will say though that if your husband was a smoker then it is likely that you are exposed to some of that cigarette smoke second hand. Thus, you would have a greater chance of being affected by lung cancer not because he had lung cancer but because you were exposed to the same cause of his lung cancer. I would suggest that you discuss this with your primary care doctor. If you are worried that you might have lung cancer or you might be susceptible to lung cancer. Some doctors nowadays are screen people for lung cancer that have more than 30 years of smoking history. The screening modality of choice is a CT scan of the chest to look for small nodules which are early cancer. This type of screening is in its early stages and right now we don't know whether or not it is more beneficial than harmful. In addition if you are a smoker, you should discuss with your doctor what options there are to help you quit. Good luck.