ZocdocAnswersDo I have endometriosis, appendicitis or something else? Do I need immediate medical attention?

Question

Do I have endometriosis, appendicitis or something else? Do I need immediate medical attention?

Well, I usually have hip or pelvic pain around my periods, but it's only been twice in which I haven't been able to properly walk because of it. This month and then back in August. This time however, It's been a week plus and I still am having this pain. My menstrual cycle was very short and instead of the usually blood flow, there was a lot of spotting and dark blood. Then I started having pain in my pelvic area and abdomen and the pain has continued. I'm also having a lot of back and spinal pain. Sharp electrical pain up my spine and through my body sometimes. Neck pain. I have burning sensations occasionally. My joints ache especially my knees, toes and fingers. I'm kind of weak and lethargic. I feel like sleeping all day. I have had a few headaches and my eyes are burning. I had some burning in between my clavicles.

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your symptoms and their impact on you life. Given the variety of symptoms you are experiencing, it is not possible to provide a diagnosis or treatment recommendations without collecting a full medical history and performing a thorough physical exam. Additionally, you may require other testing. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to make specific recommendations. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to make an appointment with a primary care physician. Pelvic pain has many potential causes. Pregnancy itself can cause discomfort in this area. Complications of pregnancy, such as an ectopic pregnancy, can cause severe pelvic pain. Other potential causes include uterine fibroids or ovarian cysts, which often require ultrasound to diagnose. Pelvic inflammatory disease, which is caused by infection with gonorrhea or chlamydia, can cause pelvic pain. As you mention, appendicitis can cause lower abdominal pain and typically requires antibiotics and surgery for management. Kidney stones and infections of the upper urinary tract can cause back pain. Joint achiness and fatigue have many potential causes including viral infection and autoimmune disorder. It is not possible to provide a diagnosis without more information. Therefore, I encourage you to see a primary care physician.