ZocdocAnswersI woke up with a swollen face. What is wrong with me?

Question

I woke up with a swollen face. What is wrong with me?

Last night I took ibuprofen for my headache @10:30pm ... Ate some trail mix nuts water and around 2am I drank a beer, half of sangria glass and water with lime ... I woke up today with my face swollen

Answer

It is difficult for me to tell why you would have a swollen face, so I recommend that you speak with your primary care physician. One of the possibilities is that you had an allergic reaction to something you ate the day prior. If you have tolerated Ibuprophen in the past, then it is unlikely that this is the cause of your symptoms. Also, trail mix contains nuts that can cause allergic reactions. You will have to take a look at what nuts are included there and whether or not you have had them in the past. Other more rare causes of swollen face include superior vena cava syndrome. This is where the main vein that drains the blood from your head gets clogged or blocked resulting in blood accumulation in the face which can result in face swelling. This is a very unusual problem to have, and usually means that there is some type of tumor or mass in the area which is blocking the superior vena cava. Again, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The first thing you need is a detailed physical exam to see how bad the swelling is, and if there are other signs of an allergic reaction such as hives. This will help your doctor narrow down the possibilities.