Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I am overweight and I probably have meralgia paresthetica. Can I bike? "

ZocdocAnswersI am overweight and I probably have meralgia paresthetica. Can I bike?


need to start an exercise regimen, and am looking at a recumbent bike, but am worried about aggravating what seems to be meralgia paresthetica in my left leg. ultimately want to improve this condition with weight loss, just want to make sure the exercise i choose doesn't make things worse


If you are experiencing symptoms of pain, numbness, or weakness in your leg, please see your doctor or a healthcare professional for evaluation so that you may undergo the appropriate testing and treatment if necessary. Meralgia paresthetica is typically a numbness over the lateral thigh due to an injury to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, typically through entrapment or compression that often spontaneously resolves with time. However, other more serious conditions can also present with numbness or weakness, including spinal and brain disorders, therefore you should be evaluated by your doctor. In addition, please consult with your healthcare professional prior to starting a workout regimen. Your doctor may provide you with the appropriate nutrition and workout exercises that can help you progress your fitness in an appropriate fashion. Recumbent biking is generally safe if you are physically capable of mounting the device. However, if it has been a long time since you last exercised regularly, you should be evaluated by your doctor to exclude certain risk factors of starting regular exercise such as cardiovascular disease. In addition to exercise, dietary changes can also be of significant help with reducing weight and feeling better. There are multiple ways to alter diet including changing the content of food you eat and measuring how much you, which your doctor or a dietitian can help with.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.