ZocdocAnswersMy stomach feels bloated. What could it be?

Question

My stomach feels bloated. What could it be?

I had protected sex over a week ago and then again yesterday and now Everytime I need the toilet my stomach kills? Feels bloated. What could it be?

Answer

That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another medical professional who is best able to evaluate you and check a physical and history. Based upon the limited history you have provided, it is hard to know whether the stomach bloating is related to the sexual intercourse you had last week although it is hard to associate the two. In general, stomach bloating may be related to a variety of causes including dietary issues, gastrointestinal infections, diarrheal illness, and lack of fiber in the diet. Any of these causes, along with a litany of other potential causes could be underlying the symptoms you are having and only a doctor would be able to elucidate the causes of why you are having these types of symptoms. Depending on what they find, they may order diagnostic tests such as x-rays or blood work. They may also suggest some treatment options depending on what the find. If you notice that you are unable to pass gas or have a bowel movement and your abdomen becomes distended or painful, this is very concerning and would require an urgent evaluation by a doctor so keep this in mind as well.