ZocdocAnswersDid I have and anxiety attack (or a heart attack)?

Question

Did I have and anxiety attack (or a heart attack)?

Chest sore , dizzy, finger tingling , shortness of breath.

Answer

It sounds like your symptoms are significantly affecting your life and may represent a dangerous condition. I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician, as it is not possible to provide a diagnosis without an in-person evaluation. Heart attacks, or myocardial infarctions, typically occur when a cholesterol plaque in the arteries feeding your heart muscle ruptures. This leads to a blood clot, which causes a blockage of the flow leading to a portion of your heart muscle. Patients often experience chest discomfort that can radiate to the arm or jaw, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, sweating, and nausea or vomiting. Risk factors for a myocardial infarction include smoking, hypertension, high cholesterol, age, gender, and family history. It is important to have this ruled out by a physician, and I encourage you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible. During episodes of severe anxiety or a panic attack, patients often experience similar to a heart attack. It is not possible to distinguish between the two without performing a thorough history, physical exam, and EKG. Depending on these findings, you may need to undergo a stress test or ultrasound of your heart. I strongly encourage you to see your primary care physician to determine the cause of your symptoms.