ZocdocAnswers3 weeks ago I was bitten by a Deer Tick and 2-3 weeks later the mark from the bite is still present. Should I be worried?

Question

3 weeks ago I was bitten by a Deer Tick and 2-3 weeks later the mark from the bite is still present. Should I be worried?

feeling sluggish, Heavier and harder to breath a little, Headaches come more often.

Answer

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear about the tick bite. I would recommend that you see your primary care physician to be evaluated further, but here are some considerations. First, there are several infectious conditions that you can acquire through tick bites, and it is important that you be formally evaluated. In general, the tick needs to be attached for 48-72 hours to transmit an infection, and these can include Lyme disease, ehrlichia/anaplasma, and babesia. If you have contracted Lyme disease, the earliest signs are a characteristic rash (called erythema migrans) that is circular redness with central clearing. This often appears between 7 and 14 days after the bite. Fatigue, fever, headaches, and muscle aches can accompany this rash. If left untreated, lyme disease can progress to cause neurological problems, arthritis, heart problems, and other concerning conditions. It is therefore very important that you be seen and have routine blood tests performed, in addition to Lyme testing. If indicated, your physician should perform a blood smear to look for characteristic findings of anaplasma and babesia. I strongly recommend that you see your primary care physician for further management. Best of luck!