ZocdocAnswersI saw a little amount of blood in my phlegm.Is it something to worry about?

Question

I saw a little amount of blood in my phlegm.Is it something to worry about?

I have been having flu and startes coughing a day ago so today i was coughing and saw blood in ny phlegm is it serious or no? Any advice and tips on how to heal it?

Answer

Coughing up blood is called hemoptysis. It also sounds like you are experiencing a possible flu with cough so you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor. Hemoptysis is a symptom associated with any infection of the lungs such as tuberculosis. Coughing irritates the mucosa which can weakened it and lead to oozing blood which is later coughed up. At this point, it is important to figure out what is causing you to cough and to determine if it is flu related or not. If it is just a cold, then the hemoptysis may resolve on its own; however, if it is something else, you may need further tests. Tuberculosis is an infectious disease that can cause hemoptysis and it is contagious. People are at risk if they travel outside of the USA. Again, You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have your medical history teased out a little more to determine if you need any further tests. You should also tell your doctor if you have a smoking history since malignancy can also cause hemoptysis. If you have an increasing amount of hemoptysis, you may consider going to the emergency room as well. symptoms to look out for are dizziness, lightheadedness, and shortness of breath.