Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have an ear infection? Should I avoid certain kinds of food?"

ZocdocAnswersI have an ear infection? Should I avoid certain kinds of food?


For your information, Iast four days my right ear felt itchy and I dig in my ear, suddenly my right ear suffered hearing loss. Yesterday, my doctor gave me Chloramphenicol Ear Drops.


Please speak with your doctor about this question, and speaking with an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon) may be the best use of your time. Ear problems are rare, but when they do happen, they can be serious and should be treated appropriately. When people have itching in their ears there are a number of possible explanations. One of these is an outer ear infection, which is also known as swimmer's ear, or otitis externa. There is usually intense pain associated with moving the skin or the cartilage of the ear, as well. While antibiotic drops can be quite effective, research has found that seeing an ear nose and throat doctor that can appropriately clean the ear before starting the drops tends to decrease the amount of time that it takes before you start to feel better. Another thing that can make your hearing decrease is to have either a foreign body or an impaction of wax in the ear, either of which could have happened when you put something in your ear. For that reason, doctors generally recommend not placing things in your ears. Please speak with your doctor about this question.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.