ZocdocAnswersI'm occasionally spitting up blood, what could this be and what should I do?

Question

I'm occasionally spitting up blood, what could this be and what should I do?

I dont know where the blood Is coming from, it's been happening for the past few days. I'll just suddenly be tasting blood and then I'll spit blood out. My throat isn't sore or irritated, I have been having frequent headaches/ migraines, and last week my stomach was slightly upset, other than that I feel perfectly healthy

Answer

You are spitting up blood. At this point it is unclear where the blood is coming from, so it is important to see your primary care doctor. It is possible that it could be from the gastrointestinal tract or the pulmonary system. Spitting up blood is not normal and is very concerning symptom. You mention that you had an upset stomach last week. It is possible that you may have a peptic ulcer that is oozing blood. Peptic ulcers can occur in the stomach or small intestine. It is caused by infections such as H. Pylori, medications such as ibuprofen, substances such as alcohol and coffee. If left untreated, peptic ulcers are worsen and cause a perforation in the gastrointestinal tract. Malignancy should be ruled out in the gastrointestinal tract since it can occur in the stomach or esophagus. People who smoke and drink alcohol are at risk. It is also associated with trouble swallowing food. Another possibility is that the blood is coming from the lungs. It could be caused by an infection called tuberculosis which is spread by person to person. It could again be a malignancy and people who smoke are at risk. You should make an appointment with a primary care doctor to have a further in depth analysis of your medical history.