ZocdocAnswersI have a choking feeling while orgasm. What is wrong with me?

Question

I have a choking feeling while orgasm. What is wrong with me?

Hello, I'm 29 years old male. I noticed these days I have choking feeling while having orgasm (during masturbation. I don't have wife[partner]). Is it dangerous? Should I go to doctor?

Answer

Not clear what could be causing these symptoms. In general, it is always best to discuss new or concerning symptoms with your doctor. The soft tissue in your upper airway can relax at certain points and result in changes that could make you cough or choke. It is interesting that this seems to happen on a regular and reproducible basis, however, which does cause one to be more concerned. If it is also happening in other situations it may be more concerning to your doctor, as this could imply something else that is affecting your upper aerodigestive tract. Some of this could be due to lack of normal swallow function while you are so focused on other things. Other factors could be more to do with other factors affecting your overall health at other times. Your general primary care doctor will likely be able to help you first with this question. If further information is needed, an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngology-head and neck surgeon) may be able to help you further by examining your upper airway with a camera that allows for excellent visualization of this area. Please speak with your doctor about this question.