Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is a potassium level of 5.1 along with other symptoms something to worry about?"

ZocdocAnswersIs a potassium level of 5.1 along with other symptoms something to worry about?

Symptoms: constant low grade fever,swollen gland,fatigue,metallic taste,nausea,night sweats,angioedema,feet swelling,headaches, skin inches all over,stiff painful joints

Thank you very much for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. I strongly recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for a proper evaluation. It is very difficult to bring together a unifying diagnosis based on your symptoms without more information (age, gender, time course of symptoms, etc.), but I can provide you with information about your primary question. An elevated potassium level (called "hyperkalemia") is potentially concerning. The most common reported symptoms are muscular weakness, nausea, tingling/numbness, and palpitations. The most concerning complications of hyperkalemia involve life-threatening abnormal heart rhythms, and all patients who have elevated potassium levels should have an EKG to look for signs of potential arrhythmia. Of note, while most labs classify a normal potassium level to be between 3.5 and 5.0mEq/L, some institutions regard levels up to 5.2 or 5.5mEq/L to be within normal limits. Hyperkalemia has many causes, including kidney dysfunction, heart failure, liver disease, metabolic abnormalities, hormone imbalances, and medication-induced. As mentioned above, you should work with a physician to 1) ensure that you do not have any concerning cardiac rhythm abnormalities, 2) determine the cause of your hyperkalemia, and 3) formulate a therapeutic approach to keep your potassium levels in a safe range.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances