ZocdocAnswersWhat can someone take over the counter to assist with kidney failure?

Question

What can someone take over the counter to assist with kidney failure?

I've been given pain medication to ease the pain I'm feeling and I've taken cranberry juice to help flush out my system. Please assist.

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your issues related to renal failure. This can be quite severe and can have a significant impact on your life. I will not be able to provide an accurate recommendation without reviewing the full details of your medical history and performing a detailed physical exam. After a detailed, in-person evaluation, the doctor can help determine which supplements are safe for you. Therefore, I strongly recommend you schedule an appointment with a nephrologist to further discuss this matter. In order to determine how you can help improve your renal failure, it is important to determine the cause. Some possible causes include hypertension, diabetes, autoimmune disease, HIV, or medication side effects. Without knowing more details about your history, it is not possible to make recommendations on which supplements may be most appropriate. In addition, it is important to consider the safety of over the counter supplements. These substances are not regulated by the FDA in the same way as prescription medications. In some cases, supplements have been shown to contain substances other than what they claim. These can even include known toxins which may worsen your kidney disease. Therefore, I think it is critical for you to review this question with a nephrologist who has access to the full details of your medical history.